4.12.2010

Vampires do shop at Whole Foods

An open call to Emily Colette Wilkinson: please be my friend. Although I ever so slightly mocked this conference on vampires in modern writing, and still think it is a little silly, Wilkinson has written a really amazing analysis of vampirism in the Twilight and Sookie Stackhouse books, which made my inner psuedo-academic fall in love. She writes:
Our vegetarian vampires, I think, are afflicted with the same crises of conscience that we are as first-world twenty-first century humans. We eat too much, we shop too much, we use too much fuel, water, land; we mistreat the animals on which we depend for food and the other peoples whose labor produces for us the cheap abundant goods we have all grown so used to....Contemporary vampire fiction mirrors our collective anxiety about our need for self-discipline and a return to a more humane approach to our fellow beings....From the shimmering pâleur of the vampire radiates something new and hardly otherworldly: an aura of white liberal guilt.
The whole post is absolutely worth the read, and is only the first of two. Is there such a thing as being a pop culture PhD? Because if so, I will start working on stuff like this posthaste.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I'm working on my master's degree right now, and the big conversation at my university is pop culture. It really is a growing field of study (especially within the English department) and it's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Emily's post. I think the vampire will always have an appeal because of the self-control metaphor - and I wonder when writers are going to have another crack at Jekyll & Hyde, which is based on similar preoccupations, just not nearly as glamorous as our bloodsucking friends.

    ReplyDelete