4.08.2010

Classics be damned, one star!

Over at Salon, Jeanette Demain writes about the rash of one star reviews for classics on Amazon. Just because something is called a classic doesn't mean it's any good, sirs. My favorite review she cites is about Charlotte's Web:
I really didn't care that Wilbur won first prize. And how in the world does a pig and a spider become friends? It's beyond me....Even as a child I found the plot very far-fetched. It is because of this horrid book that I eat sausage every morning and tell my dad to kill every spider I see.
And my day has been made. Go to the link to check out all of the poorly spelled and completely ungrammatical rants. You will not be sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I was amused more by the writer's disbelief that there are human beings that have different tastes and opinions. As a former TV critic, I feel her pain. I spent some time as a Customer Host at a major movie theatre in Los Angeles. I would stand outside the box office and answer questions about the movies playing. I learned then that no matter how bad something is it is someone's favorite of all time. I was once asked about the movie "Nuns On the Run". I called it a "dumb comedy". The people replied that was exactly what they wanted and ran to buy a ticket.

    While I have read many of the classics I have enjoyed few of them. I understand why the classics are important and what makes them classics. My idea of cruel and unusual punishment is to be forced to read William Faulkner.

    Laura, my grammar-junkie e-friend, have you read "The Lexicographer's Dilemma" by Jack Lynch. I have it in line waiting for me on my Kindle. I am sure my dialogue style sentence structure has always hurt your eyes. Thank you for being so brave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I just looked up that book: I must get a copy. It can nest with my Chicago Manual. Opposites attract!

    ReplyDelete