4.27.2010

A guide to editorial positions

Associate editor, editor, managing editor, editor-in-chief--what do all of these things mean? Well, check out this guide. A sample:
Assistant Editor – this person is not even an editor, just some uncreative person with an English degree who’s in charge of adding or removing commas. They also have to replace curly quotes with straight quotes, and remembering where all the italics were when somebody loses the HTML. This person wears glasses, and was not loved as a child.
Don't say I never solved anything for you.

3 comments:

  1. Finally, a possible answer to my sick addiction. I need an assistant editor. Once, a long, long time ago, an evil English major told me to use the comma like a pause, you know, like you want the reader to take a breath, but not stop. Now, I can't stop, I can't stop using commas. Please, please, can some wonderful assistant editor stop me, stop me before I get in too deep, stop me before I start using the semicolon! And maybe my hero, that legend, the assistant editor can also tell me why there is not a semiliver as well as the semicolon? Or is it a secret English majors keep from the public.

    Thank you, Laura, you have given me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! That's what I am!

    But it's true. Only I upgraded to contacts and my parents always loved me best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assistant editor sounds like a copy editor. Fun link. So many editors.

    ReplyDelete