1.12.2010

Sherlock Holmes: Potentially not gay

The estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is not pleased with the rumors that Watson and Holmes are homosexual lovers. Now, I haven't seen the new movie (yet!), but I do have to say: does anyone really care about this as an issue? As Nikki Gloudeman writes:
Why does everyone think they're homosexual? From what I saw, they're two guys who are very close, protective, and fond of one another. So were the female leads in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and no one called them lesbians.
Hear hear, Nikki. Plus, Jude Law has impregnated so many women, I would also switch to men if I were him. They are much harder to knock up.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like "Come Back to the Raft Ag'in, Huck Honey!" all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine why anyone would care. Liked Jude Law comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, the Law is so powerful that we might end up with a preggo Robert Downey Jr. Their love child might just be the sexiest person in existence, though, so I think they should take the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the movie, although it is an interesting interpretation on the books. Still, there was nothing overt in it. I liked the relationship - and that sort of very close relationship is well represented in other Sherlock Holmes productions as well. Besides, there is something very timeless about the "friends so close they are closer than blood, almost as if they could read the other's mind" sort of characters. That's why they show up over and over again.

    Not that it wouldn't have been hot, 'cause it would have. But I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure Sherlock misogyny in the books had nothing to do with such thoughts nor the desire of readers seeking gay heroes they can identify with. I mean really isn't the outing of Batman and Robin enough?

    ReplyDelete
  6. coincidentally this post reflects the episode of House on Monday where his neighbor thought House and Wilson were gay. While i was watching it and thinking about holmes I was surprised that i hadn't yet heard any gay rumors regarding the movie. i guess i jumped the gun a bit

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Jude Law comment might just be in your top ten of all time.

    ReplyDelete