1.19.2010

A DIY book tour article I actually didn't hate

Don't underestimate how ready I was to hate this article about a DIY book tour, reader types. First, it's in the New York Times, which almost only publishes smarmy New York "trends" and "lifestyles," like vegetarians who have beef with vegans, or Hasids and hipster who learn to live together. Second, it's about publishers trying to push their corporate agendas and someone standing up and saying, "No, I will do something indie and twee instead." Third, this is about something indie and twee.

So hats off to you, Stephen Elliot, for writing an essay on this topic for this paper and actually endearing yourself. The tour worked thusly:
Before my book came out, I had set up a lending library allowing anyone to receive a free review copy on the condition they forward it within a week to the next reader, at their own expense....I asked if people wanted to hold an event in their homes. They had to promise 20 attendees. I would sleep on their couch. My publisher would pay for some of the airfare, and I would fund the rest by selling the books myself.
He talks about the successes and failures of this method, and, while it sounds kind of exhausting, it's at least interesting. And works in sex workers, which always brightens up my reading experience.

2 comments:

  1. That's very brave of him. He could end up dead in someone's basement. For realz.

    But OMG, that cupcake flier is awesome... teeny tiny print way down at the bottom: "Plus an author reading from his book!" No mention at all who it is or what the book is about. That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moral to the story: Only read at rich people's houses.

    It was cool how he ended up prefering to read to everyday folks rather than the literati.

    ReplyDelete