2.17.2010

Crowdfunding advances

Deanna Zandt got a book deal, but no advance, and so decided to solicit donations on her website to fund her writing. Some people took issue with her method of funding her title, especially as she called those giving her hand outs "investors," who, in exchange for $100, got a free book and no portion of her profits.

Now, on the one hand, I am never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and will gladly take your money. On the other hand, I don't give money to homeless people on the subway because I am not a sap.* Thoughts?

*You heard me. Money to legitimate charities: absolutely. Money to the guy who tried to steal a six-pack from the supermarket and then got his ass handed to him by the store manager: no.** I live in a place where there are many, many places to go for help (I know this for a fact, as I lived with someone whose job was to place people in these programs), and the subway is not one of those places.

**This totally happened yesterday on my way home.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't you think that her agent would have negotiated for at least some advance? I mean, if it's "fast-tracked" that means that the publisher's hoping for it to be a hot book.

    For years I've been saying I should start a NPO to help fund my writing, but now this doesn't seem like the right way to go. Darn.

    ReplyDelete